Tips To Help You Have A Successful Warm-Up and Cool-Down
At Innovative Martial Arts Academy, we believe that warming up and cooling down are an essential part of your martial arts training. The benefits of warming up and cooling down far outweigh the extra time it adds to your training session.
The Importance of a Quality Warm-Up
Warming up is essential for prepping your body. A safe warm-up will:
- dilate your blood vessels and ensure that your muscles are supplied with an ample amount of oxygen
- allow your body to slowly increase in temperature (approximately 1 or 2 degrees)
- help prevent an injury or a pulled muscle
- improve your performance and flexibility
- prepare you mentally
Warming Up Tips
- Warm-ups should take about 5-10 minutes. The more intense the exercise, the longer the warm-up should be.
- Use your entire body during the warm-up.
- Warm-ups should consist of heart rate raising exercises and simple, slow movements.
The Importance of a Cool-Down
Taking the time to cool down after a workout is just as important as warming up beforehand. A good cool-down will get your heart back to its resting rate and gradually cool your body temperature. In addition, a cool-down should allow your blood flow to return to your body’s resting rate slowly. This will cause the lactic acid that has built up in your muscles to release, so you won’t get cramps. Your cool-down should include:
- A variety of gentle stretches
- Slow stretches held for a reasonable length of time – this is the stage that will release the lactic acid build-up.
Cooling Down Tips
- You should spend about 5-10 minutes cooling down.
- Hold each stretch for about 10-30 seconds. If you feel like you need more, stretch to the other side, then return for another set.
- Don’t forget to breathe while you’re stretching. Exhale as you start stretching and inhale while holding the stretch.
- Stretches should be strong, but they should not be painful. If it hurts, ease off, breathe deeply, and relax back into the stretch.
Want to Read More About Martial Arts?
Take a look at some of our other articles about martial arts and IMAA’s course offerings! Check out the following related blog articles:
Try A Class!
At Innovative Martial Arts Academy, we’re all about FAMILY and FUN. Our Martial Arts training offers men, women, and children the opportunity to challenge their bodies and minds without the threat of injury and intimidation. Take on the best training in disciplines like Kenpo Karate, Kali, and Aikido and build your skills one day at a time with the help of our dedicated instructors.
We are proud to serve families across Wake Forest, Wakefield, and the surrounding area with a rewarding experience that can set you or your child up for success in all aspects of life. If you’re interested in learning about our martial arts program, contact us at 919.562.4663, or visit our website.