At Innovative Martial Arts Academy, we believe that one of the benefits to learning martial arts is learning how to defend yourself. We believe that you are never too young or too old to learn how to defend yourself against others. Children who learn martial arts not only learn how to protect themselves against others, they also learn self-discipline, respect, hardwork, and perseverance. At IMAA we also offer martial arts classes for adults as well as self defense classes.
Benefits of Learning Self Defense
When children learn how to defend themselves they will:
- Feel empowered
- Build self confidence
- Stand up to bullying
- Gain self discipline and respect
When adults learn how to defend themselves they will:
- Feel empowered
- Build self confidence
- Be more aware of their surroundings
- Feel safer in their environment
Four Basic Self Defense Moves
- When To Use It: Use this from a distance as a way of setting a strong body-language boundary (like if somebody’s following you) or when you’re engaged in sending physical strikes.
- How To Use It: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands by sides. Keeping toes pointed forward, take a natural step forward with your non-dominant leg so feet are staggered. Bend both knees slightly, elevate back heel, bring hands up in front of face with hands about 12 inches from face and palms facing forward, tuck chin, and shrug shoulders slightly. Distribute body weight between both feet, placing it more in the balls versus heels.
- When To Use It: This is a last-resort move to create escape opportunities. It’s best used when the face of the attacker isn’t blocked or covered, and you can reach the face with your arms outstretched.
- How To Use It: Start in Ready Stance and keep hands up. Rotating left hip and shoulder, explosively extend left palm straight out, with fingertips straight up and elbow down. Keep your right hand up to protect your face. Immediately recoil left arm, returning shoulder and hip to square ready stance. With feet in the same position, send a palm strike with your right hand (be sure to rotate your right hip), then try a left-right combination. Hand should stay open (don’t make a fist) and the heel of the palm should make contact with the attacker’s nose.
Front Kick To Groin
- When To Use It: This is another last-resort move to create escape opportunities. It’s particularly beneficial against somebody who’s tall. Especially if you can’t reach their face for Palm-Heel Strikes.
- How To Use It: Start in Ready Stance, keeping hands up. Bend your right leg and drive your right knee straight up. As soon as the right knee is above your waistline, extend hips and kick right shin directly to attacker’s groin, making sure to keep toes pointed downward and out of the way. Immediately release your right foot behind you and return to Ready Stance.
- When To Use It: Use the Hammerfist Punch move in almost any situation where you find yourself in danger. It’s most effective when used to hit the attacker directly in the face, particularly the nose, jaw, or temple.
- How To Use It: Start in Ready Stance. Raise dominant hand up, bending at elbow (like you’re preparing to throw a ball). Rotate hips toward attacker and bring dominant arm down, smacking attacker in face (aim for the nose) with the meaty bottom part of fist. Strike the punch and run while attacker is incapacitated.
Want to Read More About Martial Arts?
Take a look at some of our other articles about martial arts andand IMAA’s course offerings? Check out the following related blog articles:
Try A Class!
At Innovative Martial Arts Academy, we’re all about FAMILY and FUN. Our Martial Arts training offers men, women, and children the opportunity to challenge their bodies and minds without the threat of injury and intimidation. Take on the best training in disciplines like Kenpo Karate, Kali, and Aikido and build your skills one day at a time with the help of our dedicated instructors. We are proud to serve families across Wake Forest, Wakefield, and the surrounding area with a rewarding experience that can set you or your child up for success in all aspects of life. If you’re interested in learning about our martial arts program, contact us at 919.562.4663, or visit our website.